Monday, March 5, 2012

Double digits

I set a new first yesterday with my run totaling just over 10 miles.  I had a hard time getting myself to get out the door, but I can honestly say I loved every second of it.  I feel a post coming on soon about my preparedness for the upcoming marathon, but that's not the focus here.

The important part is that I pounded out 10 miles in under 2 hours, and I still felt fantastic and full of energy when I made it back to my car.  I'm a slow and steady kind of gal, even if I know my body could move faster.  Around mile 9.5 I was debating whether to tack on another 2-3 miles, but the sun was setting and the snow was coming down at a steady pace so I stuck to the 10 mile plan and headed for the car.
It was chilly- and I was ready!
I drove into the university/hospital part of town where I could find ample sidewalks and know where all public bathrooms are.  Bonus  that street parking is free on Sundays!  I ran out and back to another part of town and ended up back on campus around mile 5, perfect timing for potty break and water bottle refill.  I spent the next 5 miles heading out and back to another neighborhood.

Around mile 7 or 8, I ran past some writing on the sidewalk.  I looped around the block so I could run by again and take a picture.  Wouldn't it be cool if there were inspirational quotes and motivators sprinkled here and there on sidewalks every mile or so...
Before I left the house, the Weather Channel had out a special weather statement warning of snow squalls.  I run through 2, one milder one at mile 4 and one a bit more intense from miles 8.5 to 10.  Of course they were timed perfectly so that I was running into a head wind for the entirety of both.  I could have made snowballs with the accumulation on my hat and jacket in the last mile.  In that moment, I was thankful I went with the hat with a face guard!  The downside was having to clean the snow off my car before driving home.
I learned a few things on my run today:
1. Snowflakes hitting your eyeballs feel like itty-bitty little knives.
2. I've officially mastered snot-rockets.  Don't gross out- you know it's a fact of life.
3. Dunkin Donuts coffee, Prantls almond torte cake, RazzyFresh frozen yogurt and whatever smelled really, really good on Forbes Ave... all still looks and sounds appetizing no matter how many miles you have behind and ahead of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment