Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cucumber Salad

What happens when you are home studying on a Saturday night, and your hubs is off shooting a wedding?  You make a large container of cucumber salad and call it dinner.  Partly because it is so yummy on a hot day, but also because I doubt the hubs would touch it.  It was delicious, but it was (not surprisingly) not terribly filling either.  So it was followed by a few leftover chicken mozz raviolis.
Please ignore the "I just studied in the sun for 3 hours" flush and exhaustion, thanks.
The salad is super easy to make, perfect summer food, and if the calorie calculator was right, the whole bowl only had ~63 calories.  Not too shabby for a side-dish, since most people wouldn't eat the whole thing themselves like I did anyway.
Ingredients:
- One medium/large cucumber thinly the sliced (the thinner the better!)
- A quarter of a large onion, sliced (I don't eat much of the actual onion but it makes the flavor!)
- A "splash" of vinegar
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Lots of salt to taste (I am super generous with the salt in this recipe BUT I know, personally, that my sodium is always a bit low and I can afford and can benefit from the little extra- not everyone can)

3 Steps:
- Mix it all together
- Let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour or so, and it's even better the next day if it lasts that long
- Eat!

Question of the Day: Any foods the are pure summer foods for you?  Cucumber salad and tomato salad top my list!

2 comments:

  1. I love this kind of salad, it's so refreshing!! I usually make a slightly higher calorie version though... I use more vinegar and add a little oil, and sometimes some water to increase the volume of liquid... that way the longer it marinates, it starts to infuse the cucumbers with more flavor and sort of pickles them, and takes the bite out of the raw onions. If I want to eat it faster without killer onion breath, i'll use a lot of scallions instead of onions. I also usually add tomatoes, because i love tomatoes in everything! Herbs are always welcome too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually also like it higher calorie with a ton of sour cream mixed in, but I save that for when I am least sharing it, hah. I may try the scallions and tomatoes though.

      Delete