Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Let's get FLEXible

I have a little story to tell....

I was at work early one Saturday morning.  I was sitting on the gym floor, surrounded by the most honest and observant 3 and 4 year olds I know.  We were busy telling them about all the wonderful benefits of stretching and exercise. 

Reach down.  Touch your toes. 1..2..3.. "Miss Abby, why aren't you touching your toes?" 

I then try to explain in 3 year old words that I am trying my hardest and that this is precisely the reason why stretching every day is good for you.  And like any good 3 year old would do, one little girl plopped herself down on my knees while her friend climbed on my back, and a third and fourth child pusssssssshed my toes as hard as he could toward my shins while pulling on my arms.  Such nice little helpers I have....

Did I make it with a little help?  I'd love to say yes, but even with my little helpers... I had to cheat and bend my knees.

Moral of the story you ask?
My flexibility is decreasing exponentially with my age, and I hope I've still got a long ways to go as far as age is concerned!  Ok, so that's not really a moral, but working with kids for the past 4 months has been a friendly little reminder of how much my fitness really isn't what it used to be.

I just don't move like this little girl anymore...
 ... nor do I wear that much makeup.

The embarrassing truth....
That's me trying REALLY hard to touch my toes.  Youch- talk about some tight hammies!  Maybe I should reconsider that "no resolutions" idea?

I'll be reunited with my 3 year olds on Saturday morning after our holiday break; maybe they'll have some tips for me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment