Friday, January 21, 2011

To run or not to run

I'm was thrilled to hear that the things that were making me laugh made even one other person laugh too.  That's what it's all about- passing on the smiles.

This is going to be short and sweet tonight because I have to be ready to run around with my kiddos at work in less than 10 hours, and I'm exhausted!

I've been talking about running my first half-marathon ever since they announced that the Pittsburgh Marathon was coming back a few years ago after a little hiatus.  Instead of running it, I've been a cheerful spectator since.  Ok, well, I try to be cheerful, but it always rains.

So it's coming around again and is roughly 4 months away.  Do I register?

Pros: I'm a procrastinator so I'm going to keep putting off the registration like this every year.  If I register now though, I'll do it.  I also think it will be motivation enough to actually get me running.  Some days (like the current 7 degrees) are just too cold, but I need to get my feet to the pavement!  If I do the half this year, then maybe I'll be ready for the full next year!  For all I could find, this is the last half anywhere near me until next year!  Traveling is a maybe later this year, but I can't count on anything with my internship schedule.

Cons: I haven't exactly been training for it despite my workouts.  I still have enough time though, right?  It is $90.  It's not exactly pocket change, but it's not any more than a nice dinner or two out... which we haven't had lately with our healthier eating habits.  And, I'm always worried about being injured.  I've just spent too much time in that position.

So it looks like the pros for registering take up more lines of writing are winning.  The registration fee doesn't go up again until April though, so do I jump on it now or wait.  What am I waiting for anyways?

I would love to hear some input from any other runners out there!  How did you bite the bullet and register for your first race?  Do I go for it or hold out till next year and just run shorter races this year?  Should I start with a smaller half or go big right off the bat?  Do I take the $90 and buy $90 worth of Lindt chocolate truffles and Reese's Klondike bars instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment