Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sugar and Spice fix everything nice

Well wasn't I a Debbie Downer yesterday.  I'm still frustrated, but I found the perfect fix for not being able to workout for a week.  Make a dozen or so cinnamon rolls and douse them in ridiculous amounts of ooey-gooey sugary goodness.  Smile on my face- problem solved!

So next time you're benched for a few days, have yourself a cinnamon roll.
(Bear with me, I like to bake/cook by look and feel... so my measurements are estimates at best)

In a large bowl, mix together:
1 3/4 cups warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 1/2T. yeast
Let sit for about 15 minutes.
Add 2 1/2 cups of flour.
Stir/beat to a smooth texture (I used my hand mixer to take care of the lumps)

(I forgot to take a lot of pictures though the next few steps secondary to having really messy hands!)

Add an additional 2 1/2 cups of flour and knead with your hands until combined.  Then transfer to floured surface and continue to knead until smooth, adding small amounts of flour as needed.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  Roll out on floured surface.
And no, I have no idea how long or how wide or how thick to roll it.  Just roll it until it looks right or you get tired or bored from rolling.

Melt a big dollop of butter (official measurement right there) and spread evenly on dough.  Shake on large quantities of cinnamon and handfuls of sugar... until it looks right.  In hindsight, I would have about quadrupled the amount I used.
 Roll it up.
 Slice to desired thickness (I got 16) and place on a large baking sheet that has been sprayed with Pam or something similar.
Set the oven to 400 degrees and place the sheet on top to raise for another 20-30 minutes, at which time they should look more like this.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

Make the frosting by beating together 1 splash milk, a big squirt of vanilla, a wollop of margarine, and heaping cups of powdered sugar (again, super official consistent measuring is totally useless in my kitchen)  Spread excessive amounts of said frosting on a roll.
Eat two of these for dinner, and you'll totally forget what was wrong in the first place.  Life's problems yet again solved with sugar and spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment